In 1952, ten families in Beaumont's west end, encouraged by St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Beaumont, formed St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church. Initially named “St. Paul’s,” it was later renamed St. Stephen’s to avoid confusion with a local Methodist Church. Early services were held in the storage room of Plettman’s Grocery on the corner of Central and Gladys Streets. St. Stephen’s was jokingly referred to as "St. Plettman's” during this time.
The church acquired eleven acres on Delaware Street in 1953, and the first permanent building which now houses the parish offices was dedicated in December of that year. The Reverend Frank Doremus was the first vicar (head clergy for a mission church) of St. Stephen’s in 1956 while we were still a mission (requiring support from the Diocese). In 1957, St. Stephen’s achieved full parish status (self-supporting), and Reverend Ray Ryland became the first rector (head clergy for a parish church).
The original ten families quickly grew to 180, necessitating the construction of a 400-seat sanctuary which was dedicated on Easter Sunday of 1959. Outreach ministries have always been important to St. Stephen’s. From "Project Concern," Beaumont's first recycling program which started in 1970 to camp scholarships for students to local, national and international mission trips, St. Stephen’s has worked tirelessly to serve.
The Reverend Byron Crocker, St. Stephen’s longest serving rector with 20 years of service, was present in 1977, when groundbreaking for Broce Hall (the parish hall) occurred, and a new rectory (clergy housing) was purchased. Reverend Nancy DeForest was present for the building and dedication of the Johnson-Roberts Christian Education Building in 2011.
St. Stephen’s celebrated its 70th Anniversary in 2022 and is looking forward to many more years of worship and service to the community.